Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Organizing Comics..and Lovin' It!

SO you have a comic collection? I bet it's in those little plastic baggies, stuffed into cardboard boxes, right? If you've been collecting for more than a decade or so, they're probably in acidy, un-archival-safe bags, with old style cardboard backboards. So were mine...until recently.

I haven't seen much about these comic pages by BCW Supplies, but I think that's mostly because the comics industry is filled with either (a) kids who toss them in the bottom of closets or (b) traditionalists who HATE CHANGE! I, however, am loving these pages and the ability to make my collection more accessible (yes, I still read them from time to time!) as well as feeling like they're a lot safer.

Here we have the traditional style of organizing comics:
Photobucket
When I got my first scanning printer, I immediately made fancy labels for my LSH boxes. Clearly, my priorities are in order, right? I wonder how many years ago that was...hmm...

And here we have the notebook method. I still have three full boxes to convert, and it's not going to be a cheap process, but it's still worth it to me!:
Photobucket
On the shelf; the notebooks take about the same amount of space as the old boxes, but are easier to put on the shelf.

BCW makes special notebooks for use with their pages, but the notebooks are more expensive than these, which aren't exactly cheap (I wanted heavy duty and was picky about the...clamp? style - $8 a piece at Office Depot), and they only hold 20 comic pages a piece. While these binders are larger than strictly needed, I don't have to special order them and each can hold 30-50 comics, depending on how you place them in the sleeves.

Photobucket
The more delicate comics from the 60s I placed with only one comic per page. I also bought all new backing boards, making sure they're archival safe.

Photobucket
Here is my favorite old corny issue! I love you baby Brainiac 5! Awwww. On an unrelated note, no fun nail polish because we're in dress rehearsals for the play I'm singing in, and as a general rule sharecroppers in the 1910's didn't wear Funky Dunky. Go figure.

Photobucket
The newer issues, which are printed on thicker paper, I doubled up. There's plenty of room for two regular comics and a sleeve in each page. Of course, we'll have a NEW number one in October when DC does its full-reboot. Just to be confusing.

Naturally, the conversion process is being overseen by my feline assistants: Bronte and my roomie's cat Fred.

Photobucket

Photobucket
We prefer to think of Fred's mustache as a "reverse Chaplin," thanks. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment